Through the Southwest Innovation Corridor (SWIC) initiative, students from regional universities and regional residents attending Universities outside the area are invited to participate in the Innovation Internship Program. Open to all areas of study, students will work with new entrepreneurial growth firms and supporting organizations to introduce them to high growth companies and the innovation and entrepreneurial eco-system in Western Colorado. SWIC interns will regularly assemble to work collaboratively on projects and share knowledge and experiences.
Internships are part time paid positions and average $12/hour. Most positions involve a combination of remote and on-site work to accommodate intern and company diverse geographic locations throughout western Colorado. Go to the specific applications for more information on each internship! For questions contact email@example.com. Apply!!
Check out our recent blog post to learning more about the Spring Internship Cohort!
Summer internship opportunities are being added, stay tuned!
If you are interested in partnering with SWIC to hire an intern for the summer, please submit your information using the contact us button at the bottom of the page and someone will be in touch with you.
Powerhouse Science Center (PSC) Summer Internship - filled!!
Apply here: https://goo.gl/forms/O1tm77MQJlVQnv7B2
The Powerhouse Science Center (PSC) provides hands-on science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) exhibits and experiences for 20,000+ people each year. Visitors to the PSC experience innovative and sophisticated STEM concepts in a fun and welcoming environment that nurtures curiosity, imagination, and exploration. The PSC exists to offer informal science opportunities that contribute to a vibrant educational community in our region. Since opening in 2011, the Powerhouse has taught over 135,000 students in STEM lessons and labs.
The intern will support events and activities happening in the MakerLab at the Powerhouse Science Center. As a physical workshop and design studio, the MakerLab hosts sophisticated tools and technology for use by the community. Educational programs teach youth and adults in the MakerLab how to hack, print, manipulate and create objects of their own design. The MakerLab intern will facilitate learning of visitors and will support the MakerLab director with development projects and plans for the space.
CattleFit Summer Internship
Apply here: https://goo.gl/forms/iNzet58mRMFouOGS2
CattleFit is developing a wireless health monitor for the livestock industry to monitor animal health, increase productivity, reduce antibiotic use and prevent livestock fatalities. The CattleFit device gives ranchers and farmers the ability to identify animals with symptoms of illness and disease significantly earlier than they would by human observation. This allows for the early treatment of these animals which reduces the risk of fatality, protects the financial investment of the rancher or farmer, increases efficiency and profitability, and better manages the wellbeing of the animal.
Specific responsibilities include, but may not be limited to:
- Researching potential markets.
- Developing marketing strategies.
- Developing marketing materials including product and branding videos, imagery and web content
- Developing advertising and social media marketing strategies.
Shedwool Summer Internship
Apply here: https://goo.gl/forms/tD3DhbEI8YSOl8Vm2
ShedWool is a platform for managers and their employees to publish, view, and interact with their changing work schedules. Available as a web app, and an iOS/Android mobile app, ShedWool is free for businesses to use, and supports being free by delivering in-app ads. Once we amass a large enough user base and data points, we will leverage the platform as a platform fulfilling temp jobs to qualified workers (think Uber for work). see article here: https://medium.com/@taimooriftikhar97/shedwool-the-new-scheduling-software-everyones-talking-about-9c9ab8c62b67
Intern Title: Customer Service Intern, Social Media Intern, Graphic Design Intern, Programming Intern, Sales Intern, Executive Assistant Intern – title and responsibilities catered to qualifications.
Customer Service: Learn how to use the product, and reach out to new users and make sure they know how to use the product and that they feel welcome.
Social media: Help create content, engage followers, get more followers/likes/engagement.
Graphic design: Help us implement UI/UX discoveries, help us evolve our logo, and work with Kathy, our in-house graphic designer, to make the product look and feel even better!
Programming: Help John, our VP of tech, test, debug, and evolve the tech. PHP, JS, SQL, html5/xhtml, and ionic2 are our primary languages.
Sales: Reach out to potential users, and convert them to active users. Access our CRM, and work with our sales team work with larger prospects that have been testing our product side by side with others. Lots of calls and emails!
Executive: Work with our CEO to learn the inner workings of a startup.
Element Pet Nutrition Summer internship
Apply here: https://goo.gl/forms/Kw0GPzLHFBToMBmB2
We are a holistic pet food company that is currently building a new platform from which to launch our company at a truly scalable, national level. https://elementpet.com/
We need an intern who can help us with:
1. Consumer Email Database
2. Digital Product Information Folders [pictures, ingredients, nutritional analysis, testing reports, etc.] for the copackers
3. Frequently Asked Questions
4. FAQ's for each diet and what to expect - changes in shedding, activity, sleep, poop, gassiness, etc.
5. FAQ's for each snack/treat
6. Running inventory at innovation center
Frank Summer Internship
Apply here: https://goo.gl/forms/zXk8rcq9QRTCdRjB3
Frank is an AI Advertising Expert who manages and invests your online advertising budget to get customers to your website. Frank is connected to 2 million websites and uses machine learning and real-time bidding to outperform your current online marketing budget by 30%.
Frank is looking for an outstanding intern to help us get in front of potential customers and investors via PR and social media.
Specific responsibilities include, but may not be limited to:
- Prospecting marketing blogs, influencers, leading sites
- Reaching out to above listed channels
- Creating content for social media and above listed channels
- Making case studies and video posts with existing customers
Thimble.io Summer Internship(s) - business development and marketing & social media
Apply here: https://goo.gl/forms/762PMeZlAZGnQguH3 for business development
Apply here: https://goo.gl/forms/wjRBv1beTkSXOPZf1 for marketing & social media
Thimble teaches beginners a basic understanding of building electronics through a monthly subscription kit and curated instructions. We’ve built sixteen engaging kits combined with an intuitive web interface and video tutorials. Examples of projects include a WiFi-robot, LED cube, robotic arm, alarm clock, weather station, quadcopter, etc. You can find us at www.thimble.io.
We launched on Kickstarter during February ‘16, and raised just shy of $300,000 with close to 1,800 backers. We started shipping in December ‘16 and have sold an additional $150,000 to date, in sales of upgrades and add-ons. We are currently delivering our kits in all 50 states and 7 continents. (Our Kickstarter can be viewed here: http://kck.st/1QodNaL)
We are seeking two incredible interns who will work with us to grow our subscription base from 1,100 subscribers to 3,000 by end of 2017. There are two positions: Business Development & Partnerships Intern and Marketing & Social Media Intern. Both interns will work together to create a strategy and execute on it.
Specific responsibilities for Business Development & Partnership Intern include:
· Create strategy to partner with STEM-focused organizations.
o Examples: NASA, Microsoft, Home School Associations, private / charter schools, Engineering associations (Society of Women Engineers, Boy Scouts of America, FIRST Robotics)
· Reach out to for-profit corporations interested in sponsoring local schools by purchasing Thimble kits in bulk. (100 – 1,000 kits)
· Find other subscription box companies that may be interested in co-marketing with Thimble. (Lootcrate, Tinkercrate, Bitsbox)
· Create speaking opportunities for the founders (Oscar & David)
· Compile list of relevant events in education and hardware that would be beneficial for Thimble to attend. (i.e., CES, Toy Fairs, Maker Faires, etc)
· Manage Amazon Exclusives Account on Amazon.com
Specific responsibilities for Marketing & Social Media Intern include:
· Work with Business Development & Partnership Intern on creating marketing strategy.
· Moderate Thimble Community Forums on Learning Platform
· Manage all social media channels (1-2 posts per day)
o Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, etc
o Generate, edit, publish, and share daily content
· Manage editorial calendar for Thimble blog
· Create 1-3 guerilla marketing activities for summer events
· Work with paid acquisition team to support ad campaigns.
· Find YouTube influencers that would promote Thimble products.
· Conduct surveys to collect feedback from customers; conduct interviews
RxCBD Summer Internships
Apply here: https://goo.gl/forms/DtPUSlndpb7sbMZi2 for Marketing and media production intern(s)
Apply here: https://goo.gl/forms/lk17HDml9crDb0dM2 for Baker intern
RxCBD, based in Ridgway, CO creates, manufactures, and markets industrial hemp CBD-infused products for pets and their people.
CBD has been shown to have profound health and medical benefits. One of the most exciting and promising areas of current cannabis medical research is the benefit of CBD-rich products such as those offered by RxCBD.
We invite Colorado-based individuals to join RxCBD in what will soon be the fastest growing business sector in the U.S. Individual(s) who have expertise in marketing, excellent computer and social media skills, short film and presentation production talents, and an interest in starting early with a company that is on its way to the national spot light – we want to hear from you!!
We can consider a TEAM of interns to produce all required projects.
Specific responsibilities for Marketing and media production intern(s) include, but may not be limited to:
1) Marketing Survey – Design & Implementation of survey (hemp products for pets)
2) Branding - help us evaluate and create branding strategies
3) Create a social media campaign for our company
4) Research and report on most appropriate and effective methods and channels for posting company info and sharing our customer’s stories and testimonials. Help write blogs/stories. Implement campaign.
5) Video production
· Our company would like various short videos (1 -2 minutes) that can be used in presentations and on our website. Some will be shot in the Ridgway/Telluride area (dogs and cat customers)
Specific responsibilities for Baker include, but may not be limited to:
· Baking dog treats in a commercial kitchen with a team
· Maintaining high quality control standards, including weight measurements
· Keeping production logs
Bramble Outdoors summer internship
Apply here: https://goo.gl/forms/Nrlq59I3qMUuud9w2
Bramble Outdoor is a product company out to redefine the relationship between our gear and the places we play. We are seeking a communications and media rockstar who will be the master of all things content, community, and social media to help us scale our direct to consumer channel.
-Collaborate with local adventurers to create compelling content for the Bramble channels (media formats could include video, photo, written word)
-Execute daily social media posts, and drive engagement and channel growth (Instagram, facebook, twitter, Medium)
-Support with the management of Bramble influencer network, in-person sales events, and activations
-Anything else that you bring to the table that will help grow the Bramble brand
Empire Electric Association
Apply here: https://goo.gl/forms/ELVB78Ii1kvAi80m1
Empire Electric Association (EEA), a rural electric distribution cooperative is looking for a college-level engineering student interested in gaining hands-on experience through assisting the engineering department in the summer of 2017 at the Cortez, CO Engineering and Operations location. This position is temporary, for 3 to 4 months (May-August 2017) depending upon the selected applicants start and end dates (which are flexible).
Duties will be mostly in the office, but some field work collecting information may be required. Potential projects/duties include:
• Devise Joint Use & Pole Audit tracking methodology
• Research and obtain system map/model info
• Compile Substation Circuit Load history
• AutoCAD sketches/drawing creation and updating
• Processing new and used meters, including meter testing
• Organization of archival drawings including organizing electronic files into searchable system
Follow the instructions below to apply for a SWIC Internship position. Please use the contact form at the bottom of the page if you have any questions regarding the application process.
- Follow the application link above for the internship you are interested in applying for
- The title of each internship is a link to the application form
- Complete all sections of the application form
- Send a current resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
- What can I expect after submitting an application?
- If we believe you are a strong candidate for the position you applied for, you will be contacted to set up an interview for the position (in person, via a web based tool, or over the phone).
- Otherwise, we will notify you that you will not be moving forward in the application process.
- How is the SWIC internship program different than a traditional internship?
- In addition to the real world experience you will gain in your field of study, the SWIC Internship program is designed to provide additional training and opportunities in the realm of innovation and entrepreneurship.
- You will meet periodically throughout the internship with fellow SWIC interns to engage in collaborative learning, workshops with local experts in the region, and high level networking events.
The SWIC Internship program provides the opportunity for a 1:1 matching grant up to $1,000 per intern. This funding aims to increase the financial accessibility of interns for startup companies that may not have the budget to fully fund an intern but would greatly benefit from working with one. Funding is not guaranteed for every company, and those that demonstrate the highest need and strongest potential will be considered first.
In addition to the funding available to companies through SWIC, the Colorado Department of Labor and Employment has a unique Innovative Industries grant program for companies in the following eight industries.
- Advanced manufacturing
- Energy & Natural resources
- Information Technology